I have been lucky enough to be a World Book Night Giver. I am so excited. Last year I organised (with some help) an event at the White Swan pub in Leeds and hope to be doing it again this year after some excellant feedback at book club. I’m hoping this year to book the day off and then I can prepare a bit earlier rather than rushing from work. What an excllant way to end a Monday though.
Here’s why everyone should read taken from their site here
Benefits of reading
Quick Reads have published research, commissioned by their sponsor Galaxy, looking at how reading can impact on people’s health and well-being. Here are some of their key findings:
- People who read for just 30 minutes per week are 20% more likely to be satisfied with their lives
- Readers are 21% less likely to report feelings of depression and 10% more likely to report good self-esteem versus non-readers
- 19% of readers said reading stopped them feeling lonely
- Regular readers reported 57% greater cultural awareness and 21% more general knowledge
- 43% of readers said reading helped them get a better night’s sleep
With lack of time cited as biggest barrier to picking up a book (42%), Quick Reads are an ideal tool to help people back into reading.
So pick up a book and start reading, you’ll never know what you might find. Then join a book club. They’re not like you think 😀